Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Risen by Angela Hunt

The Story:
  In the aftermath of the Crucifixion of Jesus, Roman Tribune Clavius is assigned by Pilate to ensure that the followers of Jesus do not steal His body and incite revolution. But when the Body is missing despite his best efforts, Clavius embarks on a quest for truth. Who was Jesus of Nazareth? Could the rumors of His resurrection really be true? 
 My Thoughts:
   I was very excited to read this book. It sounded so intriguing, and with Easter just around the corner it seemed a fitting read. I was, however, very disappointed. I was looking for "epic", such as Lloyd Douglas's "The Robe". Yet this book simply fell flat. The story idea itself has its merits, but it was presented in such a way as to be void of any emotion. I felt nothing as I read this book, it was just words on a page. Perhaps in part because the book was too rushed and overly descriptive. I did not necessarily  dislike this book, but neither can I recommend it. In my opinion, if you are looking for a Biblical epic with a similar story line, Lewis Wallace's " Ben Hur" or Lloyd Douglas's "The Robe" are much better options. 
 The Bottom Line:
 I neither liked nor disliked this book. It did not speak to me at all. Perhaps if I had not already read and loved the aforementioned classics, I would have enjoyed it more. Also, there are elements in this book that may not be suited to younger readers. While not overtly graphic, there is violence and an implied affair between a Roman officer and a Jewish woman. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment