Monday, April 7, 2014

For Such a Time

Hadassah Benjamin is rescued from a Nazi death camp, and is able to persuade the young SS Komandant Colonal Aric von Schmidt that she is an Aryan woman. Hiding behind her false identity as Stella Muller, Hadassah is safe. But how can she watch her people being sent to death camps and do nothing to help them? Did God send Hadassah into favor with the Komandant "for such a time"? And if so, Hadassah must decide if she is willing to make the sacrifice that may be necessary.
I thought that this was a really interesting idea, re-telling the story of Esther in a WWll setting. I really enjoyed the story, and found it to be very well written and engaging. Even though, if you are familiar with the story of Esther you will probably draw parallels between certain characters and have a pretty good idea what will happen to them, there are still enough plot and uncertainty to keep you reading. And for a debut novel, I am very impressed with this book. The only thing I did not like as well as some other historical novels I have read is the simple fact that a lot of the events surrounding the climax were entirely fictional. Granted, they turned out the way we wish history had turned out, but even if it would have made the ending sadder I think that it would have been nice to stick to the historical facts. As a work of fiction with a historical setting, this is a very good book and if you enjoy this genre this book is definitely worth reading. 
    I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment