Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Death By the Book

A string of murders draws Drew Farthering to investigate. Who is behind the grisly "hatpin murders"? How are all the deaths related? And why would anyone want to kill all these people? As Drew races against time to stop this ruthless killer, the clues lead him closer and closer to home.
I did not dislike this book, but I did not necessarily like it either. There were some things I did like: the author made reference to Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, and Shakespeare which says to me that the author is well read and has at least some appreciation for classic literature. And the conclusion was definitely surprising, and there were plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing. I do have a few complaints, however. For one, I found the writing style to be a bit simplistic and I never found myself caught up in the story. It was interesting enough for me to finish reading, but I did not find it riveting. Secondly, I thought Drew's character was perhaps a bit aloof and artificial. Thirdly, I wasn't entirely happy with the ending. It was ok, but I thought it was just a bit odd to me. The killers motive for example, what was THAT all about?!? Final issue, I think the author simply added more to this book than was necessary. Far too much time was spent on Drew trying to woo a girl and win over her prickly aunt. In fact, that almost seemed to take precedent over the mystery at times.
As a reader of classic mysteries, I was simply unable to get into this. If however you like a little suspense mixed with romance, give this one a shot.
I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment