Friday, February 15, 2013

Today's Shadows

Today's ShadowsToday's Shadows by Becky Melby

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


    Heather Conrad had planned a one month vacation, not a month long nanny job. But when her ex-boss leaves a 7 year old girl with Heather, she has no choice. The house that Heather is staying in is full of mysteries;there are secret rooms, and old treasure chest,and a hidden past. But while Heather is exploring these things, something more sinister may be happening outside the house. Who is following her, and why? Why do they want to ruin her reputation? With the help of a security guard named Ryan, Heather must try to figure out what is going on.
    This was a pretty interesting story as far as the plot goes. I liked the history that is discovered as the story progresses. There were, however, several things I did not like about this story. First of all, the romance was way too mushy for my liking. Seriously, real people don't act like the people in this book! Secondly, I thought the characters were a little shallow and overly emotional. Thirdly, a few scenes got a little too...um, I don't know, sensual? For instance in one scene the girl is wearing a two piece on the beach and the guy is very attracted to her and it says something like " He couldn't help but think that her yellow bikini looked a little like a candy wrapper against her skin, but it really wasn't a good idea to be thinking of food analogies at a time like this." And there are several little things like that throughout the book. Now I know that a guy is attracted to a girl, but I don't really like reading his thoughts in print. Lastly, I thought the attitude towards God in this book was pretty detached. The guy tells the girl that he is "a Jesus freak", but he doesn't ever really talk about God and I don't think he is ever supposed to pray when there is trouble. I think this book's general attitude is "God is a good idea and He will make your life better, but He doesn't have to be a major part of your life."
   I really can't recommend this book to my friends. If you like a lot of romance with only a trace of religion to it, you may enjoy this book. But for me, I have definitely read better books.

  I received a free e-copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment